So apparently I got tagged by Calvin a couple of days ago without realizing it. Better late than never, right? Right! So, let's get to it, shall we?
- I have to post these rules before I start.
- I have to tell you eight facts about myself.
- I have to tag eight people to participate.
- I'm supposed to leave a comment telling them they're tagged and to read my blog.
- And the tagees need to write their own blog post, telling us eight things and posting the rules.
Hm, let's see what we can think of here...
1. Despite the fact that I consider myself something of a film/pop culture "buff," there are plenty of classic films that I've never seen. The Godfather, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now...none of em. I get most of the "hep" references from said films, but I'm still ashamed to admit that I've never seen these American classics. Meanwhile, I have copies of Elektra and Hulk in my DVD collection...think what you will.
2. Speaking of DVDs, over half of the DVDs in my collection are box sets of some of my favorite TV shows. Of the actual films that I own, at least a quarter of those are box set collections as well.
3. I once wrote that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was what introduced me to the wonderful world of serialized storytelling, but looking back, that's not really true. In reality, it was K.A. Applegate's Animorphs series. Despite an "8-12" age label, the series explored themes like war, combat, and dehumanization in a way that I'd never experienced at the time. I still foster a great love for the books, and all sixty (fifty-two reglar novels, four deluxe editions, and four backstory novels) still sit on my bookshelf today. I'm very seriously considering picking them up again after all this time.
4. Despite my appreciation for the characters, I absolutely cannot read Fantastic Four from the Lee/Kirby era without becoming bored at best and appalled at the ridiculousness at worst. However, I can read Silver Age Superman stories and enjoy the hell out of 'em. What's up with that?
5. I'm extremely interested in what some might call "alternative" religion. I'm very into researching the theology of certain faiths, important events in their history, and the lives of their leaders. One of my favorite religions to research to date has been the Latter-Day Saints (aka Mormons). Don't ask me why they stick out to me, but they do.
6. I own copies of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Lord of the Rings that I've never bothered to read.
7. The first comic book I ever read was an issue of the Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog series. For years, it was the only book that I read. To this day, I still have an enormous run of at least 100 issues, as well as most of the 32-issue run of its spin-off, Knuckles the Echidna.
8. At times I can have notoriously low self-esteem. When put in a position with another whom I see as my better in some way, I can't help but feel useless in their presence. This has, at times, affected my writing - I often feel that whatever I have to offer has probably already been more succinctly stated by another, more intelligent person.
So, according to the rules, I have to tag eight people. Lesse...how's about Tom, Sally, Steven, Spencer, Jon, aaaand...Engblom.*
Let the games begin!
*I originally DID have eight, but alas, I discovered that two of my tagees had already done this little excersize. Oh well.
Some thoughts on Injustice
8 hours ago